Review: Nekromantik 2
Blu-ray & DVD: Nekromantik 2 (1991)
Originally released as a 3 disc special edition in December 2015, Arrow Films have re-released Nekromantik 2 in a dual format edition which loses the exclusive postcards, soundtrack CD and 100 page ‘Anatomy of Desire’ book, but keeps all the juicy special features which take you deeper into the making of the movie.
I saw the original Nekromantik at a ‘Black Sunday’ all night horror movie festival in Manchester, UK, sometime in the late 1980’s. This was a movie that I definitely didn’t forsee a sequel being made and was shocked to see when one did appear on VHS just a few years later. I’ve only ever seen Nekromantik 2 on a 3rd of 4th generation VHS copy 20+ years ago, so it was a joy (if ‘joy‘ is a word that can ever be used when watching either of these movies!) to watch it on this fantastic Blu-ray release from Arrow Films.
Beginning with a recap of the originals never to be forgotten finale, Nekromantik 2 continues the theme of death, love and the search for sexual satisfaction.
Monika (Monika M.) digs up the remains of Robert Schmadtke, whom we last saw having some ‘me time’ with a very large knife while lying on his bed at the end of Pt 1. Not in the best condition after having been buried for quite some time, Monika is in no way put off by his decaying corpse and proceeds to have him as her passive lover…despite various appendages coming away in the process.
She meets Mark (Mark Reeder) who earns a living by voicing porn movies, and a relatively conventional relationship begins. However, unable to restrain her necrophilic urges, Monika begins to slowly introduce Mark into playing dead during sex and showing him photographs of dead people. This seems to work, especially as he doesn’t run for the hills upon finding Roberts decomposing penis in her fridge!
It all ultimately leads to another ‘shock’ ending, which I won’t spoil for anyone who hasn’t seen it.
Nekromantik 2 had a bigger budget than the original and writer/director Jörg Buttgereit certainly put more into making the practical effects even more visceral, but also seemed to film more superfluous footage to justify the extra cash investment. This leads to periods where the movie grinds to a halt, especially where Monika and Mark’s relationship is beginning to form. Nekromantik 2 is definitely not a high octane, all action movie, so when it slows down in pace even more, it is very noticeable and I must admit to glancing at the time on a couple of occasions. Add to this a scene of a seal being disected and you can see that it is not a movie for everyone.
Having said that, Nekromantik 2 is a worthy sequel and one which HAS to be watched if you saw the original, though can still be appreciated if you missed out. It is as dark, grimy and slimy as you would expect. Be ready to take a very long shower after watching.
A wealth of superb extra’s once again from Arrow Films make this fantastic value for money and a worthy edition to anyones collection. Detailed, informative and very interesting, they give you a lot more appreciation for the movie, no matter what your opinion was on it.
- High Definition transfer approved by director Jörg Buttgereit
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary with Buttgereit, co-writer Franz Rodenkirchen and actors Monika M. and Mark Reeder
- Introduction to the film with Buttgereit, Reeder, Monika M. and producer Manfred Jelinski
- Masters of Life and Death a brand new documentary looking at the film s production and release history, featuring interviews with Buttgereit, Reeder, Monika M. and Jelinski
- City of the Loving Dead a walking tour of some of the original Berlin locations with Reeder and Jelinski
- Necropolis: Jörg Buttgereit s Berlin film scholar Dr. Marcus Stiglegger on the significance of the German capital as the backdrop for Nekromantik 2
- The Making of Nekromantik 2 vintage documentary viewable with two different audio tracks: an English track comprising audio interviews with Buttgereit, Rodenkirchen and Monika M., and a German track featuring radio interviews with Buttgereit and Rodenkirchen, with optional English subtitles
- Nekro Waltz: The Music of Nekromantik 2 Reeder discusses his work on the film s score
- Outtakes Reel
- Nekromantik 2 Livekonzert footage from the 20th anniversary Nekromantik 2 concert, with Monika M. and friends performing the live score
- Nekromantik 2 Livekonzert the complete 20-track audio recording of the concert [BD/DVD-ROM content]
- Two Buttgereit short films: Bloody Excess in the Leader s Bunker (Blutige Exzesse im Führerbunker, 1982) and A Moment of Silence at the Grave of Ed Gein (2012)
- Two Buttgereit-directed music videos: Rise Up by Die Krupps (1997), starring Monika M., and Die Frau in der Musik by Stereo Total (2007)
- Complete collection of Buttgereit feature film trailers
- Extensive image gallery
You can buy Nekromantik 2 by clicking HERE. ALL money raised by purchasing from Amazon via our website is given back to our listeners and followers in upcoming competition prizes. The more people buy, the bigger our prizes!