Kaze and the Wild Masks jumps from a childhood dream into reality
90s classics inspired platformer Kaze and the Wild Masks is now available on Nintendo Switch, PS4™, Xbox One, Steam and Stadia. Andre Schaan, founder of development studio PixelHive, couldn’t be more proud: “Today is an absolute dream come true. Seeing our long-cherished idea become a real-life platformer that’s available worldwide for everyone to play, means so much to all of us at PixelHive!”
To celebrate the launch, SOEDESCO® released a brand-new live-action trailer, highlighting the platformer’s classic side-scrolling action in a family-friendly setting. While the game has fierce rabbit Kaze as the protagonist, it’s the real rabbit that steals the show in the trailer. The release of the physical edition for Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One will follow on May 25, 2021.
An applauded 2D platformer
Upon launch, Kaze and the Wild Masks has already proven itself to be another classic within the platforming genre. Over the last week, the game received very positive reviews from renowned video game press. Journalists were pleasantly surprised by the colorful hand-drawn platformer:
- “An absolute pleasure from start to finish”
9.0/10 | NintendoLife
- “A perfect blend of 90s nostalgic side-scroller and smooth modern gameplay”
9.0/10 | CulturedVultures
- “Kaze and the Wild Masks was a game I was hyped for …. And it delivered”
8.8/10 | XboxTavern
- “Kaze and The Wild Masks is an instant classic in the side-scrolling genre”
8.5/10 | PSU
- “Exceptional platformer filled with well designed, engaging levels and tight, responsive controls”
8.5/10 | PCInvasion
How 90s kids turned their vision into a reality
PixelHive’s Kaze and the Wild Masks is the product of children’s imagination. Back in the 1990s, tons of kids who were obsessed with their Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, spent hours playing games such as Donkey Kong Country 2® and Super Mario World®. The developers of PixelHive were no different. They had a dream to create their own platformer one day. From drawing their own character resembling Kaze back in 1991 to re-creating catchy tunes, they fantasized about what one day would become Kaze and the Wild Masks. PixelHive managed to turn their longtime dream into a critically acclaimed platformer.
About Kaze and the Wild Masks
In Kaze and the Wild Masks, you journey through the Crystal Islands in 90’s classics platformer style. Play as Kaze and save your friend Hogo from a curse that spread chaos around the islands. Face enraged living vegetables by invoking the powers of the Wild Masks. Pounce ferociously like a tiger, soar through the sky like an eagle, sprint fiercely like a lizard and rule the sea like a shark.
- Unleash the skills of the wild masks to get powers from the tiger, eagle, lizard and shark
- Uncover the secrets of the Crystal Islands in 30+ levels with over 50 bonus levels
- Relive your childhood memories of classic platformers with high quality frame by frame pixel art
- Pave your way through a satisfyingly smooth, but challenging platformer
- Refresh your ears with 25+ tracks inspired by the musical themes of the 16-bit era