Blu-ray: Bull (2021)
I started watching Bull knowing absolutely nothing about it, then an hour and a half later as the end credits rolled, I found myself now being able to uncurl my fingers from the arm of the couch which I had been gripping tightly since…well, I’ll leave you to discover that for yourself, as I highly recommend that you also know as little about the narrative as possible.
What I will say though is that Bull is a (couch) gripping British revenge thriller with a hypnotic lead performance by Neil Maskell as the titular “Bull”; a man seeking revenge after a 10 year hiatus and who is like the proverbial “Bull in a China shop”, letting nothing and nobody get in the way of his bloody path of destruction.
Maskell is supported by a fantastic set of actors, including David Hayman as Bull’s father-in-law, a performance so good that I actively wanted to shout obscenities at him as his character developed into the perfect foil for Bull.
Writer/director Paul Andrew Williams has crafted well written and believable characters that you can identify with, while also putting them in a gritty and claustrophobic setting that draws you ever deeper into their lives and the situations they find themselves in.
With the added bonus of being released by Second Sight Films, who always put a lot of love and expertise into their packaging and special features, Bull is an essential purchase for anyone looking for a hard edged revenge movie that will have you gasping out loud.
- Audio Commentary with Writer / Director Paul Andrew Williams & Actor Neil Maskell
- Kindness and Rage: a new interview with Director Paul Andrew Williams
- Funfairs, Abattoirs and Burning Caravans: An interview with Producer Dominic Tighe
- Dealing with Fear: An interview with Producer Leonora Darby
Limited Edition Contents
- Rigid slipcase with new artwork by James Neal
- Soft cover book with new essays by Andrew Graves, Elena Lazic & Megan Navarro
- 6 collectors’ art cards
Released 26th September 2022 and available to pre-order.
Review by Dave from a disc kindly supplied by Second Sight Films via Aim Publicity.