Review: Jagged Edge
Blu-ray: Jagged Edge (1985)
Jagged Edge is one of his earlier works, so is more or less Eszterhas ‘lite’, a sort of 80s Noir without the class.
A masked intruder breaks into the house of beautiful rich socialite Paige Forrester, he ties her to her bed, tears her clothes off and stabs her with a jagged edged knife.
Teddy Barnes (Glenn Close) is a former district attorney and is hired to defend the victim’s husband Jack (Jeff Bridges), with help from her Private Investigator friend Sam Ransom (Robert Loggia).
It’s a basic whodunit? Was it really a masked man or Jack the handsome husband? Of course there is filler – the man who was jailed for a crime he didn’t commit and the envitable affair between Teddy and Jack which is as hot as a wet rag. Close and Bridges don’t sizzle on the screen, and of course you can guess the limp ending.
It’s almost as though this particular story was a practise run before Eszterhas really got his teeth into the slashing, shagging, tits and arse.
Not a great film, but entertaining if only for Close’s amazing acting.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition remaster
- Original stereo audio
- Optional 5.1 surround audio
- The Guardian Interview with Jeff Bridges(1990, 58 mins): archival audio recording of the legendary actor in conversation with critic Geoff Andrew at the National Film Theatre, London
- Killer Business (2021, 23 mins): acclaimed screenwriter Joe Eszterhas revisits one of his favourite scripts
- Cutting Edge (2021, 17 mins): editor Sean Barton recalls his time working on the film
- Music of Loneliness (2021, 10 mins): analysis of John Barry’s score by author and musicologist David Huckvale
- Original theatrical trailer
- Radio spot
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Limited edition exclusive 36-page booklet with a new essay by Maitland McDonagh, extracts from archival interviews with director Richard Marquand, a look at the making of the film, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
- UK premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 3,000 copies
Jagged Edge is released 30th August 2021.