Review: Evil Ed
Blu-ray & DVD: Evil Ed (1995)
If you enjoyed the early works of Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna, then Evil Ed is surely a movie that you have also seen. If not, then feel confident in ordering this immediately in the knowledge that you’ll soon be watching some low budget splatter, complete with questionable acting, but made with an obvious love and passion of the genre.
Ed (Johan Rudebeck) is a quiet and reserved man with a wife and child and who works as a film editor. When the editor of the ‘Splatter and Gore Dept’ dies, Ed is transferred into his position and finds himself alone at the home of studio executive Sam Campbell (Olof Rhodin) editing increasingly violent scenes from the ‘Loose Limbs’ series of horror movies. These shocking scenes eventually begin to affect his psyche and he begins to find it increasingly difficult to stop acting upon his impulses after witnessing horrific visions both onscreen and offscreen as his mind begins to play tricks with him.
Evil Ed is a rarity in that it is a Swedish splatter movie. How many of those have you seen!? Though even it it were a crowded Swedish splatter market, Evil Ed would stand out above most, due mostly to the obvious love that went into its making. This can be observed in the stunning 3 hour ‘making of’ documentary that is just one of the many fantastic special features that Arrow Films have once again supplied on their releases, complete with a whole load of other entertaining and informative extras too.
If you love low budget horror, then Evil Ed won’t let you down. It has laughs and shocks aplenty, and enough blood splattering across the screen to satisfy most gorehounds. A deeply dark comedy accompanied by severed limbs and evisceration.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED 3-DISC LIMITED ED-ITION CONTENTS
- Two versions of the film
- Original Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA Audio Options
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Collector’s Booklet featuring new writing on the film by horror journalist Michael Gingold
DISCS 1 & 2 (BLU-RAY/DVD) – SPECIAL ED-ITION CUT
- Special ED-ition cut [99 mins]
- Introduction by writer/director Anders Jacobsson and editor Doc
- You Keep ‘Em Heads Rollin’ – extensive making-of documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew
- Before Ed – featurette looking at the early filmmaking endeavours of the Evil Ed crew
- Beyond Ed – the filmmakers discuss their careers following Evil Ed
- Deleted Scenes Featurette
- Reconstructing Edward – featurette looking at the preparation of the Special ED-ition cut
- New Scenes Featurette – a closer look at the scenes that were added to the Special ED-ition cut
- Trailers and Teasers
- Image Gallery
DISC 3 (BLU-RAY) – ORIGINAL CUT [LIMITED ED-ITION EXCLUSIVE]
- Original cut [93 mins]
- Lost in Brainland – never-before-seen extended three-hour making-of documentary
- Cast and Crew Interview Bloopers