Review: Creepshow 2
Blu-ray: Creepshow 2 (1987)
“Old Chief Wood’nhead” has obnoxious youths being stalked by a wooden adversary,“The Raft” places 4 teens in the middle of a lake on the titular raft, only to discover that they are not alone, and it all ends with “The Hitch-hiker”, where a businesswoman pays the price for not driving with due care and attention.
All 3 stories are told with the same EC comic book style that was so popular in the first movie, accompanied by an animated sequence which unfolds between the different stories and ties everything together.
Much like the original Creepshow the stories are tongue in cheek and are not too horrific, though it definitely earns its 15 rating at times as flesh is melted, bodies rot, and the body count keeps ticking upwards as people are killed.
Creepshow 2 is an enjoyable horror romp, though while not as instantly enjoyable as its predecessor, is still fun to watch after multiple viewings.
This Limited Edition Blu-ray is packed with superb extras that make it worth picking up for those alone, with an interesting commentary by director Michael Gornick being just the start of a journey that will have you learning so much more about the whole process of putting this sequel together.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original Uncompressed PCM Mono 1.0, Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA Surround Audio Options
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Creepshow 2: Pinfall – Limited Edition Booklet featuring the never-before-seen comic adaptation of the unfilmed Creepshow 2 segment “Pinfall” by artist Jason Mayoh
- Audio Commentary with director Michael Gornick
- Poncho’s Last Ride – a brand new interview with actor Daniel Beer
- The Road to Dover – a brand new interview with actor Tom Wright
- Screenplay for a Sequel – an interview with screenwriter George A. Romero
- Tales from the Creep – an interview with actor and make-up artist Tom Savini
- Nightmares in Foam Rubber – archive featurette on the special effects of Creepshow 2, including interviews with FX artists Howard Berger and Greg Nicotero
- My Friend Rick – Berger on his special effects mentor Rick Baker
- Behind-the-Scenes Footage
- Image Gallery
- Trailers & TV Spots
- Original Screenplay (BD-ROM Content)
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Mike Saputo
Creepshow 2 is released on 13th July 2020.
Review by Dave from a disc kindly supplied by Arrow Films via Fetch Publicity.